These are the Cinnamon Kisses that I baked after tasting Ginger Kisses from New Zealand. [Edit : These are not cookies, they are sponge cake sandwich together with buttercream). A friend of mine gave us a packet of Ginger Kisses when she came back from her holiday trip to New Zealand. These Kisses has texture like sponge cake instead of usual crispy biscuit. It is soft and full of flavour from the ginger and cinnamon powder with the smoothness of cream sandwiched in between. These Kisses were an instant hit with Sydney.
After much persuasion from Sydney to bake some for her, I decided to comb the Internet for the recipe. Finally, I came across this recipe and decided to give it a go with minor changes. Since I do not have ginger powder, I decided to replace the ginger powder with cinnamon powder and call it Cinnamon Kisses.
Ingredients for Kisses
150g plain flour
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
60g caster sugar
2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp hot water
Ingredients for Filling
120g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp boiling water
Method for Kisses
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, spices and set aside.
2. Cream butter, sugar and honey till light and fluffy, then mix in the egg.
3. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
4. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add to batter.
5. Scoop small teaspoonfuls of the mixture on baking trays.
6. Bake in oven pre-heated to 180C for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Cool completely before apply filing.
Method for Filing
1. Cream butter, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth.
2. Slowly stir in boiling water a little at a time until mixture is very light and creamy.
3. Pair up the cinnamon kisses and sandwich them with filling.
Note : Remember to make more than required. These are so good that they finish real fast.