The last 3 weeks have been extremely busy for me with tons and tons of office work to complete. So much so that I do not have time to cook for my family. We have been eating out most of the week nights. Thankfully eating out is still affordable in this part of the world.
Finally, I had some time today since it is Sunday and we do not have any dinner plans. Hence, I decided to cook one of hubby's favourite fish dish. For this dish I used a large head of red snapper. I prefer large fish head as it yield more meat. Since the fish head that I bought was quite big, I only used half for this dish.
600g to 700g fish head cut into 8 pieces
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
oil for deep frying
100g pork belly, sliced thinly
1 stalk leek, sliced
2 dried mushroom, soaked and sliced
4 baby corn, cut into half
8 button mushroom, cut into half
2 inch carrot, sliced
5 slices of ginger
3 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup water
Corn flour mixture
1 tsp corn flour
1 tbsp water
1. Clean fish head and season with soy sauce and pepper for 30 minutes.
2. Lightly coat fish head pieces with corn flour and deep fry till golden brown.
3. Drained and set aside.
4. Heat wok with both cooking oil and sesame oil.
5. Saute garlic and ginger for 1 minute, then add in pork belly and stir fry until pork belly is cook and lightly brown on the sides.
6. Add in dried mushroom, carrot and leek, stir fry for 1 minute.
7. Then add in corn and button mushroom and stir fry till well mixed.
8. Springkle cooking wine around the food directly on the wok, then stir in sauce ingredients and bring to boil.
9. Add in fish head and simmer for 3 minutes.
10. Thicken with corn flour mixture and serve.
Note : pork belly can be replace with roast pork for a more flavourful dish.