I must admit that I felt intimidated at thought of making fondant flowers. My past experiences with fondant have not been a pleasant one. My previous fondant flowers took ages to dry and when it started raining, they went limpy again. So this time I decided to cover the cake with fondant but use gum paste instead for the flowers. However, I had not previous experience with gum paste. So I SOS my Wilton instructor, Jo for help. She was very helpful and even provided me with the gum paste recipe which can dry within a day.
Armoured with the lessons I learnt from Wilton and Jo, I set out to make the cake. I started by making the flower buds and left them to dry for a couple of days.
Once the flower buds have completely dry out, I painted them and set to make the petals.
Then followed by the rest of decorative items.
These 'stars' took me 3 attempts to make before I got them right. The first 2 attempts failed miserably.
Here you see me putting final touches to the cake.
Phew...finally the cake is done.
This was the picture given to me.
Photo courtesy of Sydney.