Home

Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Rose Bouquet


This is a cake request by my friend for her mother-in-law's birthday.  This is a orange poppy seed cake covered with buttercream.  The roses were individually piped and place on the cake.

Old folks are great to have around.  They eagerly fill in when help is required.  Many times I envy my sister who stay close to my parent's house.  My mother will take on the role of supervising my niece and nephews when my sister needs to take off.  I often wonder what my mother-in-law will be like if she is still alive.  Will she be as eager as my mom to care for the young ones.  I believe she would.

But sadly I never had a chance to get to know my mother-in-law.  She passed away when hubby was 6 years old.  She died of post surgery complication in remover of gall blader stone.  Hubby too could hardly remember her except that she is very strict and fierce with her kids.  Who wouldn't be when you have to take care of 5 active boys ranging from 1 year old to 9 years old.

My mother-in-law has a beautiful name; Violet.  My father-in-law once told me that she was his first and last love.  They both met at school, she was studying in Convent School while he was in the boy school across the road.  According to him, it was love at first sight the grew to a full bloom love. I believe him as we found her photo still kept in his wallet when he passed away.  And that was almost 20 years after she died.  May they rekindle their love in heaven.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

That's a beautiful cake and a beautiful, but sad story as well. I'm sure she appreciates your well wishes, even though she isn't alive with you.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Well done, it's really very beautiful cake.

Ling's Passion said...

Thank you very much ladies.

The Caked Crusader said...

I love this cake - the roses are gorgeous and I love the colour palette you've chosen