Home

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Scones

My baking venture started with scones. Scones were the very first thing that I learnt to bake from my Home Science teacher while in secondary school. In those days there weren't as many attractions (or should I say distractions) such as computer games or highly addictive TV programmes. Hence, me and my classmates always look forward to these Home Science classes where we have fun playing with kitchen utensils, weighing machines and ovens. We also enjoy those adventurous outings scouting for ingredients used in these classes.

Recently, I baked some raisin scones for afternoon tea time. Although making scones seems basic but it can be rather tricky due to our hot climate. The quantity of liquid must be just right and light handling of the dough is required to produce soft and fluffy scones. Therefore, adjusting the milk accordingly is very important. I usually add in the milk gradually till the dough is of a pliable consistency.

Ingredients
240g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
60g cold butter (cut into cubes)
2 tbsp castor sugar
approx. 120ml cold milk
30g raisins

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Sift plain flour together with baking powder into a bowl.
Rub in butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Stir in sugar and raisins.
Make a well in the centre of mixture.
Gradually add in milk and mix with a knife.
Transfer dough on lightly floured surface.
Knead lightly until smooth.
Flatten dough to 2cm thickness and cut with a cutter.
Place them closely together on a baking tray and bake for 12 - 15 minutes.

No comments: