Home

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Chocolate Almond Cookies

Have you come across cookies that do not look appealing but are delicious? This is one of them. 

I chanced upon these cookies when I went on a hunt for recipes for my leftover almonds slices.  I really can't recall when I purchase these almond slices.  Good thing for Chinese New Year where it is customary to clear out as much old stuff as possible making space for new ones.  Otherwise these almond slices will still be sitting in the dark corner of my fridge. 

The good thing about these cookies are, you can make the dough way ahead and freeze them.  According to some cookbooks, this cookie dough can be kept frozen for up to a month. 

When it comes to baking, there is no short cut where these cookies are concerned.  You need to bake them for at least 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the cookies, otherwise you will end up with soft cakey cookies.  That was what happen to mine.  I baked them for only 15 mins thinking that it would be ready by then.  But they turn out cakey and I had to rebake them for a further 15 mins. 

This recipe is from the cookie book named Joy of Making Cookies by Alex Goh

Ingredients
(A)
260g  butter
185g icing sugar
(B)
1 egg
1 tsp chocolate paste
(C)
400g plain flour
1 tbsp milk powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
15g cocoa powder
(D)
180g sliced almond

1.  Cream (A) till well bleanded, then add in (B) and cream till smooth.
2.  Add in the sieved (C) then followed by (D) and mix till well blend.
3.  Press the dough into an 8 inch square baking pan lined with grease proof paper.
4.  Refridgerate overnight or till the dough is very firm.
5.  Remove dough from fridge and cut into 40mm bars.  Then cut into slices of 5mm thick.
6.  Place cut dough onto greased baking tray and bake at 170C for 20 - 25 mins.

1 comment:

Little Corner of Mine said...

I thought it looks pretty. I always like this type of refrigerate cookie, slice and bake and can be frozen.