Home

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Semolina (Sugee) Shortbread

Many years ago I baked some shortbread for my nephew, Fabian who was then observing the Lent period.  Lent is the 40 days period leading to Easter.  This is the period where many Christians observe a period of fasting, praying and repentance.  Like any other Christian, Fabian having completed his secondary school examination decided to go on a vegetarian diet for 40 days.  As his diet exclude eggs, there aren't many cookie recipes that do not have eggs. After combing my recipe books, I came across a Semolina Shortbread recipe by Delia Smith that does not have any eggs in it.

Recently, Fabian having started work in a different state got himself an oven and asked me for this recipe.  Before giving him the recipe, I thought I better bake some first so that I can be precise in documenting the steps in baking them.
So Fabian, this recipe is for you.

Ingredients
250g plain flour
250g butter
125g castor sugar
125g fine semolina (sugee)

1.  Cream butter and sugar until just combined.
2.  Add in plain flour and mix well.
3.  Add in semolina and bring the mixture together to form a dough.
4.  Roll the dough between 2 sheets of greased proof paper or cling wrap to fit a 12 inch by 9 inch pan. (I used a Swiss roll pan)
5.  Prick dough all over with a fork and bake in a slow oven pre-heated to 150C for approx 50 mins.  Shortbread should be of a pale golden colour.
6.  Remove shortbread from the oven. 
7.  At this point, the shortbread will still be very soft.  Immediately cut shortbread into squares and leave to cool.
8.  Shortbread will turn crisp after cooling down.

Note : For Step 4 above, this is what I did.  I place the dough on a Swiss roll pan lined with greased proof paper.  Then I place a second piece of greased proof paper over the dough followed by another Swiss roll pan of the same size.  Then I run a rolling pin over the 2nd Swiss roll pan.  This method will give you an evenly rolled out dough.  Remove the 2nd Swiss roll pan and greased proof paper.  Then continue with Step 5 above.

3 comments:

Bear Bear said...

Thanks ah sim.

Little Corner of Mine said...

How nice of you to do that! Good with a cup of coffee. :)

Ling's Passion said...

Bear Bear : you are most welcome.

Little corner : yummy with coffee.