Home

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Prawn Noodles

We had this Prawn Noodle for dinner tonight. This is Sydney and Hubby's favourite noodle. This noodle usually cost quite a lot when eaten in a restaurant as large fresh water prawns are expensive. Since I have some leftover large prawns from Chinese New Year (CNY), I decided to give this a try. Surprisingly my first attempt turn out to be quite tasty.

You may wonder how I keep my prawns fresh for such a long since CNY is was month ago. Well the trick is to submerge the prawns in fresh water and freeze them until cooking time.

To prepare this dish, you need a good chicken stock. As I do not have chicken stock, I used Maggie Chicken Concentrate stock from the bottle. I dilute 1 tbsp of chicken concentrate to 2 cups of water to get 2 cups of chicken stock. Honestly, I prefer this to chicken granules as this gives a more natural flavour.

Here is my recipe for this prawn noodle.

Ingredients

2 rolls of fresh egg noodles (wanton mee), unroll and deep fry in oil for a few minutes till lightly brown and crispy.

2 large prawns, sliced into halves

1 small bunch of spring onions, cut into 1 inch length

1/2 inch ginger, sliced

2 tbsp cooking oil

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp of water

Sauce Ingredients

2 cups chicken stock

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

1/2 tbsp oyster sauce

1/2 tsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp pepper

Mix sauce ingredients together

1. Heat cooking oil in a wok and saute ginger and the white stem of the green onions.

2. Add in prawn and fry till the prawns turn pink.

3. Pour in sauce ingredients together with spring onions and bring to boil.

4. Add in corn flour mixture and when the gravy thickens turn off the fire and stir in the eggs.

5. Pour gravy over the noodle and serve immediately.

10 comments:

Beachlover said...

look really yummy!! now you make me wanna to make some!!here in US all we have is frozen shrimp from south america or asian countries...no fresh prawn leh..

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks so delicious and the prawn is huge!

The Caked Crusader said...

Good to see you back!

Is it me, or is that a huuuuuuuuge prawn?

Ling's Passion said...

beachlover : no fresh prawns no worries. I believe frozen shrimp also can...

little corner : Ya, these prawns are huge and delicious.

the cake crusader : Good to be back, too. Taken leave for a little too long then I should. It is a huge prawn, abt 6 to 7 inches long from tip to tip.

Anonymous said...

So hungry and drool. Thanks for the trick, will make a note of it

teckiee said...

w00t! Sang ha meen! But I think I'll just head to Imbi and have mine. So lazy to cook hehehe

Big Boys Oven said...

this is what I call delicious! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ling,

How’re you doing ? That’s a good news for you ‘’, we’d like to inform you that the March issue of BestFoodJunction.com Magazine were hitting on the market, they’re ready for your collection at our office at your convenience.
We’re expecting you with our warmest welcomes ! Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at jay@bestfoodjunction.com or 012- 722 9361 for further details.
Many thanks and have a nice day ahead !

Warmest Regards,
Jay
BestFoodJunction.com Team
Click Network Sdn. Bhd. (647012 A)
29-2 & 29-M, Jalan PJU 5/20A,
The Strand, Kota Damansara,
47810 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor, Malaysia.

Vivien said...

May i know what camera you are using in regards to photos in your food blog? I am doing a personal survey before buying a new camera as current photos in my blog kinda sucks, i am using a 5-years-old Pentax Option4S. Thanks for your help

possible email me back at vivien_1223[at]yahoo[dot]com

Ling's Passion said...

Chump/teckiee/Big Boys : Thanks for your encouragement.

Vivien : Thanks for dropping by. Most of the time I used my Canon Powershot G9. However, occasionally I also use my old Sony A100 DSLR. I find the Canon much more easier to lug around.